ARIPO Recruitment 2020
Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO) Recruitment 2020.
Job Title: Director-General
The organs of the Organization are:
- the Council of Ministers, consisting of Ministers who are responsible for the administration of intellectual property matters in the respective Member States ;
- the Administrative Council consisting of heads of offices dealing with the administration of intellectual property in the respective Member States; and
- the Secretariat (the Office of ARIPO) headed by the Director-General as the principal executive officer of the Organization.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to be considered for appointment to the post of Director-General of the Organization, the full description of which is as follows:
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe.
Duration of Appointment: Fixed-term contract of four years.
Scheduled Date of Commencement: January 1, 2021.
The Director-General of ARIPO is the Chief Executive Officer of the Organization. The Director-General shall direct and control the Organization’s operations and give strategic guidance and direction to the Secretariat to ensure that the organization achieves its mission and objectives in line with its Strategic Plan. The Director General’s key job functions shall be as follows:
- Direct and control the work and resources of the Organization and ensure the recruitment and retention of adequate numbers of staff that is well-motivated, trained and developed to ensure that it achieves its mission and strategic objectives;
- Prepare a strategic plan and annual activity plans and monitor progress against these plans to ensure that the Organization attains its objectives as cost-effectively and efficiently as possible;
- Provide strategic advice to the Chairman and the members of the Administrative Council; –
- on the implementation of the mission of the Organization; and,
- on international developments in IP and to ensure that the appropriate policies are developed to meet the Organization’s mission and objectives and to comply with all relevant international instruments and treaties
- Establish and maintain effective formal and informal links with Member States, major users, cooperating partners, key decision-makers and other stakeholders generally, to exchange information and views and to ensure that the Organization is providing the appropriate range and quality of services;
- Develop and maintain research and development programmes to ensure that the Organization attains competitive advantage, applies the most cost-effective methods and approaches, provides leading-edge products and services and retains its competitive edge;
- Prepare, seek approval and monitor the implementation of the annual budget and programmes of activities of the Organization and ensure that budget targets are met, revenue flows are maximized and that fixed costs are minimized;
- Develop and maintain an effective marketing and public relations strategy to promote the products, services and image of the Organization in the wider community;
- Represent the Organization in negotiations with customers, suppliers, government departments and other key contacts to secure the most effective contract terms for the Organization;
- Develop and maintain quality management systems throughout the Organization to ensure that the best possible products and services are provided to clients and other stakeholders;
- Ensure effective, learning and career development of subordinates, conduct performance reviews, and manage overall performance of the same;
- Oversee the preparation of the Annual Report and the Financial Statements of the Organization and ensure their approval by the Administrative Council;
- Direct the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure that the Organization complies with international best practices and delivers its mandate;
- Manage the Office in accordance with the decisions of the Governing Bodies of the Organization;
- Report to the Administrative Council on the execution of the tasks of the Office; and,
- Exercise such other powers and performing such other functions as are vested in, or assigned to by the Governing Bodies.
- At least a Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Law, Public Administration, Sciences or Social Sciences or Technology. Additional qualifications in any of the above fields would be an added advantage;
- At least five (5) years of experience of administration in the field of intellectual property at a senior level;
- At least ten (10) years of experience in administration and corporate governance at a senior level with a demonstrable track record;
- Very good communication, negotiation and diplomatic skills in English;
- A working knowledge of any of the other official languages of the African Union would be an added advantage; and
- Respected and empathetic leadership qualities with strong intellectual property knowledge.
Age: Minimum 35 years and maximum of 60 years at the time of making the application.
Nationality: To be eligible for appointment, candidates must be nationals of any of the Member States of the Organization and should have a letter of support from their respective governments.
Conditions of Employment:
Conditions of employment shall be subject to the ARIPO Staff Rules and Procedures or be determined by the Administrative Council of the Organization.
Salary and allowances on the first appointment shall be those applicable to Grade DG of the ARIPO salary scales.
Base Salary: US$110,392 per annum (fixed).
Post Adjustment Allowance: Depending on the rise and fall, in value, of the United States dollar, a post adjustment index on base salary is applied as a cost of living allowance.
Dependency Allowances: US$1800 per year for a dependent child. A maximum number of children three (3).
Other benefits include:
- Payment of travel and removal expenses,
- Once off installation grant,
- Official car,
- Official residence,
- Education grant up to a maximum of three children,
- Contributory medical insurance scheme,
- Annual leave of 34 working days, and
- Paid home leave every two years.
The appointment is subject to a satisfactory United Nations type medical examination to be conducted by an ARIPO nominated medical practitioner.
Privileges and immunities:
The Director-General is accorded appropriate privileges and immunities for ahead of a diplomatic mission by the host country.
Other Conditions of Service:
Other terms and conditions of service shall be subject to the ARIPO Staff Rules and Procedures or be determined by the Administrative Council of the Organization.
Application and supporting documents:
How to Apply
Applicants should submit an application letter together with: a letter of support from their respective government; detailed curriculum vitae indicating pertinent personal data, and names, professional designations, and addresses of two persons from whom professional references can be obtained; certified copies of relevant academic and professional certificates; police clearance, and, two passport size photographs.
Applicants should indicate in their personal data, the following:
- family name and first names;
- date and place of birth;
- nationality and detailed present address;
- full names, relationship, gender, and date of birth of dependents;
- language abilities both written and spoken;
- educational background (main subjects, institutions, diplomas or degrees and marks of merit;
- employment record (present or most recent employment, previous employment); and
- any other relevant information.
Applications should be sent to:
The Secretary of the Selection Committee
African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO)
11 Natal Road, Belgravia
P O Box 4228
Email: [email protected]
Application Deadline: 30 April 2020.
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the ARIPO Office on official letterhead.
NB: ARIPO does not charge a fee and neither does it use any agents at any stage of the recruitment process.