“Recruitment 2020: Ghana Health & Education Initiative”
Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for Ghana Health & Education Initiative Recruitment 2020.
Job Title: Health Program Coordinator
The ideal candidate is someone who is ready to get their hands dirty, has a willingness to give, learn, and leave an impact through their commitment to this position! This role is ideal for ambitious, thoughtful and service-oriented individuals looking to work for a high-impact, grassroots, international development organization.
We are deeply committed to finding the right person. They should be eager to learn, adaptable, fun, courageous and ready to take our health programs to the next level!
If you are entrepreneurial and ready to go on this journey with us, read on….
Start Date: May 1, 2020
Duration: Only applicants willing to commit to at least 13 months should apply. Your first 15 days will involve remote-based onboarding, training and analysis with members of GHEI’s Global Support Team of volunteers, including GHEI’s Executive Director and Maternal and Child Health technical experts.
For individuals not currently in Ghana, it is not required to be based in Ghana at the time of onboarding. However, the HPC is required to be in Humjibre on/or around May 15, 2020.
COVID-19: GHEI is actively working on COVID-19 relief efforts. We are closely monitoring the situation in our communities and will work with the candidate selected for this position if travel to Ghana is affected.
Job Summary: This position entails working with GHEI’s local health staff to plan, implement, and monitor a range of community-based health activities. The primary focus will be on managing and the future development of the Mother Mentor Program, which aims to improve maternal health and early child health and development. The HPC will be the program lead, working with local staff and US-based consultants to ensure the success of the program.
The HPC will also be responsible for overseeing the Malaria Prevention and Handwashing with Soap at Schools Programs. In addition, the HPC plans and facilitates health evaluation and outreach projects carried out by short-term volunteer groups during the summer months and pediatric residents, during the spring.
Reports To: In Ghana, this position reports to GHEI’s Country Director. Functionally, the HPC will report to the remote-based Technical Expert for Health who will provide development guidance.
- Program Management and Development (60%)
- Lead the health team in the management and implementation of the Mother Mentor Program
- Oversee the Malaria Prevention and Handwashing with Soap at Schools Programs
- Oversee the monitoring and evaluation of all health programs?
- Plan and manage short-term volunteer health projects by planning suitable projects, writing itineraries and project-specific handbooks, and assisting with onsite logistics and emotional support
- Work with medical volunteers to implement annual health training and evaluations
- Support in fund development activities for health, including writing and developing grant proposals, sponsorship packages and exploring collaborative partnerships
- Interface regularly with target communities and local government agencies; network with local government agencies to integrate and align GHEI health programs with existing government health priorities and strategies?
- Support GHEI’s fund development efforts by participating in fundraising campaign support (as needed), grant research and proposal development efforts and funder relations (report-writing and correspondence).
- Ensure the delivery of a quality donor experience to all GHEI health program donors
- Generate reports for internal use, funders, and local government agencies
- Create and monitor budgets and expenses for all health programs
Capacity Building (15%)?
- Mentor and build management capacity of two local Health Program Administrators (HPAs) through formal and informal training and activities as they take on more of a leadership role within the organization
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably a Masters in a related field (e.g. Public Health, International Health)?
- Knowledge and experience in maternal and child health care?
- Minimum 1 year of project management experience, preferably in a developing country
- Strong preference for candidates familiar with logic models and program design specifics
- Experience with data analysis generating descriptive statistics (Excel is sufficient)
- Knowledge and experience in proposal writing?
- Familiarity with creating budgets and tracking expenditures?
- Fluency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel?
- Ability to live and work in a low-resource environment with limited internet capabilities? and intermittent power outages?
- Demonstrated cross-cultural awareness?
- Excellent spoken and written English?
- Excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with all stakeholders in Ghana and staff in the US?
- Commitment to the highest professional standards, ethics, and values?
- Resilient, patient, flexible, and willing to perform a wide variety of tasks as they arise?
- Commitment to building local capacity and working within established local systems, structures, and cultural norms?
- Ability to work in close collaboration with the HPAs and as part of a multicultural team
The HPC will receive a monthly salary that is comparable to other NGOs in the region. Before applying, we encourage you to reach out about salary details to [email protected]
The HPC will also receive free housing on-site, a local sim card, and 25 days holiday a year. The HPC will be reimbursed for all program-related transportation and other costs.
For Candidates Not Based in Ghana: If coming from overseas, the HPC will also receive initial transport to Humjibre from Accra and all necessary immigration registrations and documents for foreign residents in Ghana.
GHEI puts nearly all of our funds into supporting our mission of providing necessary health and education programs to communities in rural Ghana. Unfortunately, we cannot cover the cost of international travel, nor can we cover the cost of visas and health insurance for international candidates.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should CLICK HERE to apply.