The Food Systems Research Network for Africa (FSNet-Africa) hosted by the University of Pretoria, South Africa, is offering a one-year postdoctoral fellowship starting January 2021, with the possibility of renewal for a further 2 years, dependent on satisfactory performance.
University of Pretoria Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
The Postdoctoral fellow will primarily support the FSNet-Africa team’s quantitative research activities, as well as monitoring and evaluation efforts. The fellow will be responsible for, inter alia, design, and administration of online surveys, analysis of survey data and other quantitative research data, and the development of technical and non-technical reports and data visualisations from the aforementioned. The fellow will assist with the collection of project monitoring data, the collation and cleaning of monitoring data, and reporting of data to project funders under the guidance of the FSNet-Africa Senior Learning Lead.
The fellow will contribute to, and co-author, academic publications with the research team. The project offers opportunities to participate in the development of further funding proposals.
The fellow will provide similar support – on a limited basis – to the project principal investigator (PI) and senior researchers on other research projects led by the PI.
Through the fellowship, the postdoctoral fellow will have the opportunity to strengthen their interdisciplinary research skills, learn project management skills, develop international research networks and develop funding proposal writing skills.
University of Pretoria Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Eligibility
- A Ph.D. obtained in the past five years.
- Experience in quantitative data analysis, and in-depth knowledge of statistical analysis methods.
- Advanced proficiency in using either SPSS, R, Python, or similar tools for data analysis.
- Proficiency in developing and delivering online surveys.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong IT skills, including – at minimum, advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple deadlines.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to get things done and a strong “end-product” orientation.
Added advantages and preferences
- A Ph.D. in a field related broadly to the food system will be an added advantage.
- Experience or training in advanced data science techniques and big data methodologies will be an added advantage.
- Experience in/knowledge of mixed-methods research approaches will be an added advantage.
- Experience in/knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodologies will be an added advantage.
Value of Award: The value of the fellowship is ZAR 240,000 – ZAR 360, 000 per annum (dependent on experience) as a tax-free stipend. No benefits or travel allowances are included in the value of the fellowship.
Duration of Award: 1 year with the possibility of extension
How to Apply for University of Pretoria Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
Applicants should provide the following before 4 December 2020:
- A letter of application describing their suitability for the fellowship
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and evidence of having graduated with (or submitted for) the PhD degree
- A CV including any publications or research output
- An example of a written output – either an academic publication or technical report.
- The names and contact details of 3 references.
Applications will be accepted until the fellowship has been awarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to undertake an inbox skills assessment.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to cancel incomplete applications, to effect changes to the conditions of the Fellowship and/or to make no awards at all.
Further information can be obtained from, and applications submitted to Dr. Melody Mentz-Coetzee via email at [email protected]
The full advert can be viewed here.
For more information, visit the University of Pretoria Postdoctoral Research Fellowship.
Application Deadline: 4th December 2020